Australia is one of the top study abroad destinations for Indian students. According to a report, the number of Indian students studying in the country has increased by a massive 71 percent since 2014. More than 107k Indian students enrolled in different universities in the country in the last academic year(2018-19). If you are eyeing a seat in an Australian University, writing a winning Statement of Purpose for Australia student visa should be one of your top priorities.
What is Australian Student Visa SOP?
Your Australian student visa SOP is an important part of your application. It will give weightage to your candidature for your preferred university. Your SOP must explain why you chose a particular college and course. It must describe your goals and achievements (academic, professional, and personal). Remember your SOP is one of the first things the admissions committee will notice. Make sure it is compelling and powerful.
Why is an SOP Important?
Every year, admissions committees of Australian universities receive hundreds of thousands of applications. To make your application stand out, you need to write an effective SOP. Your SOP is your chance to prove your worth and convince the admissions committee that you deserve their consideration. A well-written SOP will set you apart from other students with similar qualifications and professional aspirations. A powerful SOP can compensate for a weak academic profile.
Tips for Writing a Winning SOP
- Make sure your SOP is 100 percent unique. Copy-pasting stuff from the Internet is a strict NO.
- Your SOP should be short and to-the-point (not more than 1,000 words)
- Be honest. Cooking up stories is a strict NO as it can land you in the soup
- Watch out for grammatical and spelling errors
- Craft your SOP around your experiences and academic journey so far without blowing your own trumpet
- Use a conversational and engaging tone. The admissions committee must feel that a real human, and not a machine is addressing them
- Answer important questions such as what your experiences have taught you and how they have shaped the person you are today
- Mention times when you demonstrated leadership skills
Things to Include in Your SOP
- Your professional and academic goals and how you plan to achieve them
- Reasons for choosing the university and course
- Personal, academic and professional achievements
- Extracurricular activities
- Your motivations
What not to Include in Your SOP
- Your family background
- Irrelevant details
- Made-up anecdotes
Mistakes to Avoid While Writing Your SOP
- Using a weak or long introduction (unless you want to bore your readers to death)
- Using slangs and informal language
- Dwelling too much on your weaknesses
- Exceeding the word limit (specified by the university)
- Using cooked up stories to impress the admissions committee
A powerful SOP can drastically improve your chances of getting into your preferred Australian university. D-Vivid Consultant is committed to giving wings to students’ study abroad dreams. We are a trusted overseas education consultant. Our experienced SOP writers have mastered the art of writing impactful SOPs. To avail our services, call +91 99786-10809